Kiwis are a great addition to anyone’s collection of fruits. Delicious and versatile, you can eat them on their own, add them to a smoothie, or feature in a dessert. The question is: are kiwis suitable for a low FODMAP diet?
Are Kiwis Low FODMAP?
You may be most familiar with green kiwi (or kiwifruit) with the fuzzy exterior. Or you may have tried the newer yellow variety, called Gold or Golden Kiwi, with a smooth peel. Both kiwi varieties are low FODMAP at a serving size of 150 gr (about 5 oz), or 2 small, peeled kiwis, according to Monash University. Higher amounts contain fructans. If you tolerate this FODMAP group well, you can enjoy them freely.
How to Use Kiwis in a Low FODMAP Diet
Kiwis are characterized by their juicy, sweet-tart flesh and taste the best in the winter, the peak of their season. Their sweetness increases with ripeness. Here are some tips to use them:
- Add them to your breakfast: just cut them in half and scoop out the flesh with a spoon (a grapefruit spoon works even better)
- Have them as a snack with some nuts, or mixed into yogurt (lactose-free if needed)
- Add them to a green smoothie with a handful of spinach, lactose-free milk or yogurt, and a few ice cubes (optional).
Nutritional Highlights of Kiwis
Most importantly, kiwis are nutritional powerhouses. Which makes them a great way to increase your variety of low-FODMAP fruits during the winter time. Kiwis contain:
- Fiber – the fiber in kiwis has a high capacity for absorbing water, which helps soften and bulk up stools and improve constipation
- Actinidin – an enzyme also found in papaya and pineapple, which may have a role in promoting laxation
- Vitamin C – 2 small kiwis have twice the daily value for vitamin C and twice as much (weight per weight) as oranges
- Other important vitamins and minerals: vitamin K and potassium.
Low FODMAP Kiwis & Chia Pudding
- ½ cup almond or lactose-free milk
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 2 small green kiwis about 5 ounces
- Add the milk, chia seeds, and maple syrup to a jar and stir until well-mixed. Let sit for at least 2 hours or overnight. Stir again.
- Slice kiwis and layer with chia pudding in a serving glass; or chop the kiwis and serve on top.